Saturday, August 27, 2016

Suicide Squad Movie - A Review


As Suicide Squad heads to its final theatrical release week, let me just share my opinion about the film. I know, I know... It's already late for reviews but I want to share mine anyway.

  So, Suicide Squad is a movie adaptation of DC Comics' antihero group Task Force X which then became Suicide Squad. But unlike any other DC comics based film, this is the very first "team-up" that they have made ever since the DCEU began. The movie stems up from a group of villains hired by the government as a contingency unit for future threats. And that is what you can see in the movie. For comic book readers (like me), there is so much to be brought up regarding the Suicide Squad and the movie was not a disappointment as it is the first of its kind to be brought up by the DCEU. Fans are eagerly anticipating for more Suicide Squad but the release dates are just too anti-climactic. Unlike MARVEL, DC has its own way of presenting their characters not being too generic.

  Anyway, let's go back to our main theme. For a moment I really thought that they would be basing the movie on Batman: Assault on Arkham since the Suicide Squad was the main theme of that animated feature. Anyone who has seen Assault on Arkham would be amazed by who these characters are. The Suicide Squad film has some similarities though but for me Assault on Arkham was a much better Suicide Squad film. I cannot help but compare these films because it is a point of fact that fans love Assault on Arkham more than the Suicide Squad film. But I can't also say that I can't give credit to the film. For the non-comic readers, the film was a great introduction to the characters, and that is the one thing that I could give credit to Director David Ayer.

Now for the characters:

Deadshot
  Played by Will Smith, Deadshot is an assassin who is an insanely skilled shooter. In the comics and animated features, you can see see him as a merciless criminal who is just leashed by the government and works for them because he has no choice, but in the film you actually feel for him. His backstory is just heart-pounding. There is this scene in the movie when Batman captured him and Deadshot tries to shoot him but he can't because his daughter was preventing him from doing so. You can see that in many films but in the point of view of Suicide Squad, you can actually share your sentiments with him. Deadshot and Harley Quinn owned most of this movie, yeah.


Harley Quinn
  Also known as Dr. Harlene Quinzel, a psychiatrist in Arkham who was administering the Joker's medication but ends up being the one who was recruited and brainwashed by the Joker. Margot Robbie was a superb casting on this film. She captured the Harley I know from Batman: The Animated Series. Aaaand she looks like my girlfriend, only my girlfriend's much prettier. Hah!


Captain Boomerang
  Honestly, Jai Courtney as Captain Boomerang was not a bad choice. I've seen Jai Courtney's films and I gotta admit, he ain't a good player in those films. But as Captain Boomerang, he was good... kudos to that bro!


El Diablo 
  I can't really remember who played his part but El Diablo was the most, I can say, important member of the team. I have to admit, I really didn't know that DC had a character like him until I saw Suicide Squad. He had the feels and the badass-ness of a character in this film. Among all of the members, he was the most powerful one but he won't show it because of the remorse he felt after he killed his family.


The Joker 
  Hmmm... What am I going to say with the Joker? Oh I know... Jared Leto was a shitty choice playing the Joker. Honestly, the first time I knew that Jared Leto was going to be the Joker, I also knew that it's a poor choice. But I didn't gave up hope, I wanted him to be good, I wanted him to be the Joker I know from DC's New 52, but after seeing the movie... Ummmm... sorry dude, I had my hopes but forgive me, I just can't seem to like you.


Enchantress
  Played by Cara Delevingne, Enchantress was the main antagonist of this movie. But honestly, I found her weird. If only it was her brother who was the main villain and Enchantress would just be the one conjuring him, it would be more convincing. Also, what I don't understand is why does she want to destroy the world? That's what seems lacking in the story. There is no nefarious ideology that the enemy holds in their plans. And in the end, the film ends up just showcasing some comic book characters that some don't know about.


Rick Flag
  In the film, Rick Flag is the field handler of the Squad.
He is the US' top field agent, he got involved with the Suicide Squad just because he and Dr. June Moone, Enchantress' surrogate, are together. In order for Amanda Waller to get a hold of Col. Flag, she has to control Dr. Moone thus putting Flag into the game. Joel Kinnaman playing the role was actually not a bad idea. Tom Hardy was the original casting but for some reason, he dropped the role.


Amanda Waller
  Who says Loki is a badass? Well guess what, here's a character who's a more asshole than any of these characters. Meet Amanda Waller everybody; the squad's Government handler. And duuuude... when I say badass, I mean she's the real deal! While it is true that Waller is both a badass and an a-hole in the comic books, Viola Davis totally nailed it as Amanda Waller in this version.






Killer Croc, Katana, and Slipknot
  It is sad to say that some of the characters in this movie gets less appreciation. When you look at the comic book or animated version of these characters, they are quite interesting. Take Croc for example; I was acquainted with Croc's backstory watching Batman: The Animated Series and reading some comic book features about him and Batman. On the sidenote, Croc is an interesting character because of his struggle being different. He doesn't want to be an asshole but he becomes one because he is being chased by his nemesis, Batman. When you look at his story based on his point-of-view he is just some mutant being a victim of evolution. But that isn't much emphasized in the film. He's just like some dorky street gangster dude hanging with some other guys. On the other hand, Katana isn't also as interesting as her story is in this movie. If you aren't much acquainted with Suicide Squad or the DC Universe, you actually won't appreciate Katana's struggle in this film. I suggest you watch the CW TV Series Arrow for a much clearer introduction for the character. And last but... yeah... let's admit it, the least: Slipknot. What am I gonna say about him? To be honest, it is the first time that I saw this character in the DC Universe. Before this film, I really didn't know that he exists. In the movie, he's the only character that you won't care about, really. I think he was just made to die. 

All in all, Suicide Squad is a pretty good movie to watch, especially that... oh, did I mention that they have captured the original look of the characters from the comics? That is also one thing that I appreciate about this film, comic accuracy. I enjoyed watching it even if it's already in its fourth release week and there are only five people (I think) watching with me in the cinema. But it is still worth the watch especially that I've been waiting for this movie ever since they announced that they're going to make one. And it didn't disappoint me... except for the Joker though. I suggest that DC won't cast Leto as the Joker anymore. Now for its rating, I'm gonna give Suicide Squad a grade of 4 out of 5.

So, Suicide Squad; have you seen it? What did you think about it? Just comment below and let me know. Thanks for reading, you're AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment