Saturday, April 29, 2017

I Stand for MSU: A Revolution Against Decadence

The glorious entrance to Mindanao State University - Main Campus. (Credits to the owner of the photo)



For the past day, I have been informed about the two Mindanao State University Execs who were suspended because they were charged of “simple neglect of duty” by the Ombudsman. It came to me that these charges were made so that these two executives could be litigated. It is safe to assume that they would face these accusations in time in order to resolve the problem that they face. However, it also occurred to me that this simple charge of neglect of duty isn’t the only thing that should be looked and investigated upon by the Ombudsman. As an MSUan, I have seen the frailties of the system of the university, I have witnessed the malpractice of some administrators who only care for themselves and not the interests of the students, faculty, staff, and the whole institution as a whole.

I have been here for almost nine years, that’s just a small fraction of what others have experienced being here in the university. In the past eight years of my residence here in the university, I have learned to love it, care for it, prayed and defended it from the outside “forces” that thinks less of it. In this case, I can consider myself as a “nationalist” (If MSU is of course, a nation). My admiration for this university exceeds from those of other bigger and “well-known” institutions, because I was not just academically trained in the university, I also grew even more matured in terms of practical thinking and decision making in this beloved university of mine. However, in all the admiration that I have for the university, I could not deny that there are really some dark elements that it conceals. Too dark that I could not help myself but doubt about the love I have for this institution. I have seen the irony that this beautiful yet decadent university beholds. For everybody’s consumption, I am not writing here a hate-piece towards the university. This is merely an “exposition” of what I have perceived a debase attitude that our previous (and to some extent even some of the present) administration had or has.

When I was an undergraduate, I have been an S.A. (Student Assistant) to various establishments in the university. The last time that I was an S.A. was when I worked for one of the best, if not brilliant, professors in the university. I would not mention his name here for personal reasons. I was this professor’s last S.A. on his last year in the university. It wasn’t supposed to be his last year because he was only planning for a retirement then. He wasn’t even sure if he wanted to retire immediately because according to him, he has still the passion and the will to teach. One can really see that he still has the capacity to work and teach eloquently. Also, he hasn’t even turned sixty – the most suitable age that the government requires for a person to retire. This professor has been entrusted a “faculty cottage” with in the university, and yes, this cottage was situated in a seemingly fitting environment in the university. Now, it was still even rumors that this professor would retire, even though he hasn’t made up his mind yet, and his colleagues knew that it would be a great loss for the university if he would retire then and then. I for one knew that he didn’t want to retire because he told me. But then, even rumors can quantify as true for a self-indulgent bastard.

It was November of 2014 that an MSU “official” surveyed the area/compound where the professor resides. At first, we were not sure what the purpose of their visit was. Eventually it became evident that they wanted to occupy the area as soon as the professor has retired. The professor tried to explain that the procedure isn’t that simple. However, the “official” insisted that the professor should work for his retirement because he would replace him as the next resident of the compound. RESIDENT. I remember the word correctly because I was there when it happened. It was as if he thought that the compound was allocated for “officials” where in fact it was a “faculty cottage.” And we felt like we were driven off by an external force that we didn’t see coming. Later, we found out that the “official” was a “relative” of the seating president of the university. I wouldn’t mention his name, you know who he is. We were wondering why it was so simple for him to say those words to us at first, but in the end it was made clear to us.

Every day, since that month, a PKF (Peace Keeping Force) guard would visit the house and would ask us when will we move out. We were treated as if we were squatters in an area. At least that’s what it felt like. Note: EVERY SINGLE DAY. They’d ask us that question. Even though the professor hasn’t even filed his retirement papers. By the start of December, we were already packing our things because we really felt that they would bulldoze the house anytime. The “official” would call the professor asking him to move out in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT! I was constantly praying during those times that perhaps these persons would reconsider and even help us find an easy alternative of moving out. Help us pack the professor’s books perhaps. But no! They didn’t even lift a finger as we struggled moving and packing the furniture! That week, the wall construction started. And we were really doubling our efforts to pack everything that belongs to the professor. Still, the retirement papers weren’t done yet.

For me, I was worried, the professor I was working for would be forcefully retired, and I didn’t have a place to live in. My initial thought was to go back to the dormitory, but then, I’d have no income if I stayed there, so I searched for another option where I could still survive as a working student. Eventually I found a boarding house not too far from the professor’s cottage. But even so, the professor still helped me with my allowances even if he’s not in MSU anymore. Oh, I forgot to mention, we were eventually and “officially” stripped off the house. And they demolished the house even if it still looked well. That’s the bitter truth that I’ve experienced in MSU. It hurts for me, how much more for the professor who was forcefully evicted like a squatter in an area.

Nepotism isn’t a new thing in MSU. I have witnessed that myself, not just in that experience that I had. Forgive me, it is not my intention to point fingers, I just have grown sick with all that’s happening to the place I love. Now this, going back to these two executives who were charged with that case, it is not new to my hearing because it’s not only that time that they’ve done a thing like that. That’s just one of the many unfit practices in MSU. The CSC even branded the university as one of the Philippines’ “worst universities” in terms of administrative functions. So what could one expect? Many of my friends would tell me, “Masanay ka na, nasa lugar tayo na walang batas!” (Get used to it, we’re in a place where the law isn’t observed!”)

I refuse to believe that, but there are times that I could really agree to it because the filth is so foul, you could suffocate! As to you, my fellow MSUan, if you are reading this right now, would you tolerate a system that runs its course the way that an oil spill corrupts the sea? I have seen MSU’s worst, but its bests outweighs it more. And I hope that it wouldn’t reverse its way to what we don’t like. Would you stand for MSU or would you like to watch it crumble in the hands of corrupt administrators who only care for themselves? This is a call for revolution against the system that doesn’t work as it is supposed to. The question is, would you heed this call?

Please do leave your comments and suggestions. If you have a story to tell, please let me know. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. My fellow. If you think this is confidential then why are your graduation is on your profile. I am worried about your security.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't matter to me bro. If it's my destiny, then it's my destiny. What I care about is the truth. But thanks for your concern. God bless you.

      Delete